from JAN CASSONGO in Kinshasa, DRC
Kinshasa, (News CAJ) – At least 243 children died of an outbreak of the Ebola virus that destroyed the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) since last August.
Of the deceased children 111 were girls and 132 boys.
It is reported that about 340 children have caught the disease during the period.
So far, 97 people have survived the disease.
Save the Children, which fights for the rights of minors, said insecurity and violence in the eastern part of the country, coupled with fear and suspicion in some communities, made it difficult to contain the outbreak.
"We need to increase our efforts to build trust with community leaders. Everyone needs to understand the need to reverse the ebola crisis, "a spokesman for the organization said.
More than 600 people have died from what was the worst outbreak of Ebola in the DRC.
The epidemic is the second worst since the West African disease erupted, leaving more than 11,000 dead from 2013 to 2016.
Meanwhile, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guateras has condemned assassination and injuring two others after the militants have attacked a World Health Organization (WHO) health center in North Kivu province in Buteham.
"The Secretary General expresses his solidarity with the people and the government of the DRC and reiterates the determination of the UN system to continue its work in support of the Congolese authorities to end the eruption epidemic," Guterres spokesman said.
– News CAJ
Short URL: http://cajnewsafrica.com/?p=30368
on April 25, 2019. Filed under Africa & World, News, Regional.
You can follow all the answers to this question via RSS 2.0.
You can leave a response or a song on this record