When Layane Dias last July noted that he had received an internship and planned a trip with her family, she could not imagine what would happen to her.
Only in 20 years she would have gone through what she thought the worst part of his life,
A few days after the start of the training, he began to feel very severe back pain. He had to resort to drugs to get the job done. But they did not work.
He felt weak and finally left the traineeship.
The pain was worse until it finally turned out can not move the legsAnd, in the end, the rest of the body.
"I could not feel anything from the chest down"he told BBC Brazil.
According to his story, the neurosurgeon who visited her explained that she was called a bacterium Staphylococcus aureusyou, who manages to carry diseases through the blood, has entered his body through infection.
The doctor asked if I had a wound on my nose or something, because, as he explained to me, this bacterium is usually generated in the nostrils. piercing in the nose the previous month. "
The doctor did not hesitate, recalls the young woman.
"The piercing was the entrance door of the bacterium to your body," he told me, listening to what puzzled me.
Layane has always liked piercing.
"Three times I had put one on the right side of my nose.
But last June he decided to change and become one on the left. For the first time blood appears during the drilling,
He also swelled and made the tip of his nose red, but he did not attach much importance to him.
"I thought it was just a grain, but it gave me a fever, cured it myself, I put some ointments and a week later disappeared."
Dermatologist Alessandra Romiti points out that the complications resulting from the placement of piercing usually occur only in the place where the earring is placed,
What happened to Diaz was odd.
One day he woke up with a lot of back pain,
"I did not mind, I thought it was muscular, I took medicine, but the pain was still there, intense, the pain continued the next day, even stronger, my mother took me to the pharmacy, injected me something and the pain disappeared. It was a relief, he says.
The pain came back the next day at night, but I managed to reduce his intensity with medication. So for several days.
So far became too strong, Then he decides to go to the doctor.
X-rays were made on her back, but the doctor did not see any anomalies, although the young woman continued to have severe pains in that part of her body.
The next day, after awakening from a nap, I did not feel my feet,
They took her to the hospital.
"The doctor ordered blood and urine tests and the results showed this I had a blood infection– says the young woman.
The doctor began to feel her leg, but she felt nothing.
Her case is classified as serious and transferred to a hospital in the capital of Brazil.
"The pains became stronger, but the doctors could not give me an accurate diagnosis," he remembers with pain.
He had to take morphine to endure the pain but also cause hallucinations and one of the doctors stopped the treatment.
MRI shows this there were 500 milliliters of pus between three vertebrae that pressed their spinal cord,
It was operated urgently to remove the liquid.
The surgeon responsible for the surgery, Dr. Osvaldo Ribeiro Marquez, says that, although rarely, It is possible: a piercing causing paraplegia,
"This can happen when there is some complication in the process," he says, admitting that he has not seen anything like that in his 15-year clinical experience.
"The patient is undergoing a skin procedure that causes an infection that allows the bacteria to enter the blood stream and have not been affected before with back pain so the problem is most likely caused by the bacteria in his blood, explains the neurologist.
Ribeiro Marquez believes that "it is very likely and possible" piercing left Layane a parallegist, although only genetic research can determine the true causes.
The operation to which the young woman was subjected was directed at her removing pus that compresses the bone marrow spinal, but actually seeks to avoid more serious consequences.
"This procedure has stopped the progression of paraplegia, which may have spread further, the pus could have caused an infection that could kill it, and when the fluid was removed, the bone marrow was decompressed, and the patient's picture improved, "he explains. surgeon.
After surgery, Layane He did not feel that unbearable pain again who had accompanied him in recent weeks.
The conversation with her doctor made her understand clearly what had led her to her current situation. on piercingblood, infection and did not come for help on time.
The student does not plan to take any legal action against the institution or professional who has placed the pendant but expects to be more concerned about the health of their clients.
Life in a wheelchair
She had to stay in the hospital two months before she was written. Already during the recovery of the hospital, he knew it was not safe to walk again.
Know that you can spend your entire life in a wheelchair This was one of the most difficult moments.
"I was devastated," he admits.
Today she has physiotherapy sessions, but also a psychologist.
Ribeiro Marquez I have the belief that the girl will restore leg mobility, but adds that it is too early to speculate.
Meanwhile, Diaz has learned to live with his new state.
"I met other young people in wheelchairs and saw that she could be happy, today I even play basketball and handball," he says.
His life is now very different from what he was before, but he learns to deal with it.
In January, the young woman made a public case by publishing her experience with several photos at Instagram. The story quickly became viral, and Diaz began to acquire followers. Up to 20,000 more in just a few days.
But she says she does not tell her story to prevent people from getting up piercing if you want
– What I want is be more carefulChoose the place where they will. And those who make the perforations are extremely careful with hygiene measures, he says.