Located in the Silicon Valley and sponsored by Google and NASA, University of Personality has become soft for exponential technology and innovation. One of his professors Kyle Hermans was in Buenos Aires in the Next BA cycle, organized by HSBC for his clients, and talked to economic about what it means to update.
"I do not see innovation as a process, but as a product, and I see creativity and research as a process, but real innovation is what solves the problem or need of consumers or the market or ordinary people." Companies that say they innovate but not are related to the client, they are not really innovative, "explains Hermans.
– Is it easier for younger companies to innovate?
– The big and long-standing companies that want to make a change try to bring "fresh" thinking. To achieve this, they must observe the outside world and then be able to implement these ideas in the business. Many times in big companies there is no time to create ideasThey are very focused and adhere to the processes. The younger companies have the freedom to move faster, the freedom to experiment more. But what we notice is that they spend a lot less time in the processes. They need help in the processes, the operation, even if they are filled with good ideas … So there is an interesting balance. Large companies would say: how can I be more like a startup? I think what they really want is how to shake the way they think and create to integrate the new into a very proven process. Big companies know how to distribute, know how to produce and produce, know how to organize the supply chain. The younger have not yet. But they have really good ideas.
– Many companies organize prizes and competitions (internal and external) for innovation. Is this a good strategy?
– Yes, that's a way to do it. One of the things are losing is to unite the incentives and wages that employees receive with innovation strategies of the company. Employees are generally compensated for performance or performance. Often they are not rewarded for experience, even if they do not work. So these are good systems to motivate change in the company. Sometimes it can be turned away if the company does not have a culture and says: please believe or implement because when you do your hands tied because they are against the culture of the company. If culture does not support such a way of thinking and being, then it does not work.
-What is the key to integrating innovation as a strategy?
– The key is learn and learnChanges will always find resistance internally, and culture will not move fast enough. In general, we learn new things about old things, but rarely get rid of old things that no longer matter. If we can make space, this is part of the "repulsion". Which is usually a very new idea for companies. They have programs for learning, but not an "impartial" program. Because many times the inheritance becomes what it is: determines the company.
-What do you think about?
-This is practical. It's about changing the way you think about something. This is a change in perceptionCompanies that do not change will not survive long.