Unlike other types of cancer, lung cancer does not have a preventive method. Specialists from the GEMA Institute explain what the Lung Cancer Early Detection Program is about, a study that allows early detection of pulmonary nodules and reduces mortality rates in patients by 20%.
Sometimes lung cancer is discovered incidentally at an early stage by examinations conducted to study other health problems such as heart disease, pneumonia or other lung conditions that make it possible to start treatment on time.
Unlike other types of cancer, lung cancer does not have a prevention method, which is the reason why annual control is recommended for smokers and former smokers.
On the World Day to Fight Lung Cancer Dr. Diego Kallsten, Area Tomography Coordinator of the GEMA Institute, emphasized the importance of early detection of this disease where low-resolution computed tomography (CT) Dosage is a study that detects early nodules in the lungs helping reduce the risk of death from this disease. Dr. Kallsten noted that this study helps detect disease, especially in people who have no symptoms.
"This is not a preventative step but early detection of lung cancer (…) early detection of pulmonary nodules and this reduces up to 20% of mortality rates in patients. Radiation from this study is up to 10 times less than traditional studies," he said.
According to the National Library of Medicine in the United States, there are more cases of death each year because this disease is compared to combined breast, colon and prostate cancers.
"Not this is about preventive measures, but early detection of lung cancer (…) early detection of pulmonary nodules and this reduces up to 20% of mortality rates in patients. Radiation from this study is up to 10 times less than traditional studies ", he pointed.
Dr. Diego Kallsten, Coordinator of the Tomography area at the GEMA Institute, Provincial Registration Office 5017
Among the main causes of this disease are smoking. The World Health Organization (WHO) says that smoking accounts for 20% of deaths from this disease, which is the first most common cause of cancer in men and the second in women, causing 1.59 million deaths per year. around the world.
The area coordinator Tomography added that "the subject of early diagnosis with low-dose tomography is being included. The high consumption of cigarettes not only causes damage to the lungs, but also increases the risk of oncological pathology in various organs and this study allows them to be detected."
Faced with fear of procedures, Kallsten explained that this was fast – they could last an average of one minute – and that depends on whether they were in contrast or not, "is the time of their development.
The tomographies produce three-dimensional images which according to the study provide 1,000 times the clarity of x-rays. This is also used to diagnose brain, stomach and pelvic problems.
Smoking is a risk factor that causes many cases and globally causes around 22% of cancer deaths and 71% of deaths from lung cancer.
World Health Organization
- This study (in English, NationalLungScreening Trial [NLST]) consists of comprehensive clinical studies that investigate the use of low-dose thorax CT to detect lung cancer.
- People who participated in this study underwent three LDCTs or three chest X-rays, one year apart, to detect abnormal areas in the lungs that could become cancerous. After several years, this study found that the people who underwent this study had 16% less likely to die from lung cancer compared to people who undergo chest X-rays. Generally, They have 7% less chance of dying for any reason compared to people who undergo chest X-rays.
- Before 1920, the incidence of this disease was very low. Of the mass of cigarettes among soldiers with the Crimean war, the American Civil War and the First World War, cases of people diagnosed with this pathology increased rapidly.
- If lung cancer has spread to other organs, survive in 5 years only 13%
- Risk factors include passive exposure to tobacco smoke, biomass fuel, diesel exhaust, radon, asbestos and environmental carcinogens and other jobs.
Tomography is used for multidisciplinary studies of different specialties as well as in deep biopsy puncture procedures, 3D reconstruction, angiography, sophisticated applications that are sensitive to movement and routine studies.
It's never too late to do research, today is a good day to reflect on the consequences of smoking, and every day is good for consulting your doctor.
Address: Av. Bolivar 2377, Posadas
Shift here: http://www.institutogema.com.ar/?page_id=1657