Brisbane flyer Jordan Kahu has emerged as a possible option to replace the sacked Ben Barba at North Queensland in 2019.
According to multiple reports, Cowboys have already sounded Kahu's management in a bid to secure an immediate release.
The Cowboys' plans for the upcoming season were thrown into disarray when Barba was sacked following a physical altercation with his partner at a Townsville casino.
Kahu has one year remaining on his contract at the Broncos, but seems unlikely to break into the backline for Round 1 given the club's Darius Boyd, Jamayne Isaako, Corey Oates, Jack Bird and James Roberts on their roster.
The 28-year-old has had ambitions to be a full-time fullback, but the opportunities have been far and away between Red Hill.
Every game of every round of the NRL Telstra Premiership LIVE with no ad-breaks during play. SIGN UP NOW!
The Broncos also have a depth to cover the loss of Kahu with the likes of Kotoni Staggs Gehamat Shibasaki backup backline options, while former South Sydney winger Richie Kennar is on a train-and-trial deal.
Cowboys coach Paul Green confirmed it foxsports.com.au last week that the club was likely to go to the market for a replacement fullback.
Rabbitohs speedster Alex Johnston was one player linked to the Cowboys, but he denied he was in talks with the club, while coach Wayne Bennett also quashed the move.
"I have not heard of them at all," Johnston told foxsports.com.au on Tuesday.
"I think whoever released that was just trying to connect some dots or get ahead of the game but I was not contacted at all.
"Wayne has spoken to me a couple of times now, and when he came out in the media and shut those things down he gave me a confidence boost and it was pretty cool for him to do that."
BUNNY WILL NOT BE BLUNTED: WALKER REFUSES TO CHANGE STYLE
SWITCHING SIDES: GAGAI READY TO DO WAR CRY HE HELPED CREATE
JT CLONE: BRONCOS TEEN SENSATION TO BE THROWN NO.7 JERSEY
BLAIR'S BURNING PASSION: WHAT'S DRIVING THE MAORI SKIPPER
INK SAYS IT ALL: ADDO-CARR'S INDIGENOUS PRIDE
NEW WAR DANCE LEAD: SHOCK CONTENDER TO REPLACE INGLIS
Should Kahu join the Cowboys, he will be the third Broncos player after Josh McGuire and Tom Opacic to move north this year.
The New Zealand International has played 95 games and scored 42 attempts for the Broncos since its making its NRL debut in 2013.