Tuesday , July 27 2021

Desensitization of peanuts, a real danger?



A Canadian study of 1041 children aged 5 to 12 years indicates that the favorable risk of oral desensitization treatment is not favorable.

Desensitization what is this?

Peanut allergy is potentially life-threatening. It affects 2% of children and 1% of adults in industrialized countries. Already practiced for respiratory allergies (desensitization of pollen or ticks). We are trying to introduce a little peanuts. This process lasts about a year until the body tolerates enough to avoid anaphylaxis in the event of accidental contact.

Unfavorable risk benefit

Twelve studies from the United States, the United Kingdom, Europe, and Australia are included in this new meta-analysis.

Desensitizing peanuts would increase the risk and frequency of anaphylaxis by 2 (7 to 22%). It multiplied by 3 times the use of epinephrine (from 4 to 8%) and serious side effects (from 6 to 12%). Also, there are other allergic reactions during the treatment of both the digestive and the respiratory.

Oral desensitizationcan achieve the goal of desensitization "But this result"does not become the achievement of the desired target by the patient. Namely reduction of allergic reactions and anaphylaxis over time. Instead, the opposite happens. There are more allergic and undesirable effects associated with oral immunotherapy than with avoidance or placebo"Says Dr Derek Chu, lead author of the publication, in a statement.

What a Future for Patients with Peanut Allergy?

Oral desensitization with omalizumab reduces the risk of serious reaction. This is certainly the way the technique for desensitizing this food will have to be reversed.

Inducing peanut tolerance from the patch on the skin has also not demonstrated its safety. The quality of life of children who are allergic to peanuts appears to be darker and eviction is still the least risky way.

sources:

The Lancet

Photography: freepik


Source link