Alberta's health services have confirmed the case of hepatitis A in Nanton in an individual who, although infected with the disease, was involved in food processing.
AHS asks anyone who may have eaten at Auditorium's restaurant on Friday, January 11th and next Friday, January 18, or had a banknote in J.T. The admission school on Thursday, January 17, calls the Health Link (811) for exposure and risk assessment.
These persons will receive information about the planned immunization clinics, if necessary.
Immunization with hepatitis A can be provided within 14 days of exposure and can often prevent the onset of a disease.
AHS says there is no permanent risk of an infection associated with a restaurant that has been cleaned, tested, and approved for safe work.
For those who ate in J.T. Foster AHS says these people connect directly with AHS Public Health through the school, and immunization clinics are being organized.
Anyone who believes may have been exposed is advised to monitor for symptoms of hepatitis A at least until Friday, March 8, as the disease may appear 15 to 50 days after exposure.
Alberta's health services issued a message on the issue:
Symptoms of hepatitis A may include: fatigue; weak appetite; nausea and vomiting; abdominal pain and fever; followed by dark urine, pale colored stools and yellowing of the eyes and skin several days later. Some people, especially young children, may get hepatitis A infection without noticeable symptoms; they are still infectious for others.
"While we believe that the risk to society is low, hepatitis A is a serious infection," says Dr. Giu Hu, medical healthcare specialist, AHS Calgary Zone. – As a precaution, anyone who consumed food at the Auditorium Hotel on January 11 and 18 or a banknote in JT On January 17, the foster school is recommended to watch for themselves and their family for symptoms for 50 days after their last exposure.
Hepatitis A is a liver infection caused by a virus. By spreading through the faecal-oral route, individuals conclude primarily hepatitis A through direct contact with an infected person; However, individuals may also be infected by the disease indirectly by swallowing contaminated food or water.
If an infected person does not wash their hands properly after using the toilet, the virus can be transmitted through food and beverages prepared by the infected individual.
INDIVIDUALIZED SYMPTOMS BETWEEN 8 MARCH AND 20 MARCH 2019 SHOULD BE CONSIDERED WITH A HEALTHY CONTACT 811.
Send us your news tips, stories ideas, and comments at [email protected]