KISS Killed: Anxious parents issue a strong warning after their 14-day-old baby died of a cold virus
- 30-year-old Kelly Innes warns others about the danger of hugging newborn babies
- Her daughter, Kiara, died at the age of 14 days after herpes simplex virus was captured
- The virus is very serious in babies and can be transmitted through innocent touch or kiss
- If the virus spreads to the baby's organs, nearly a third die even if they are treated
Kelly Inneson and Thomas Kummin have warned other families about the dangers of the digestive virus after their daughter, Kiara, died when she was only 14 days old
A heartbeat has warned others about the dangers of kissing newborns after their daughter died at the age of 14.
30-year-old Kelly Inneson and 30-year-old bridesmaid Thomas Cammiges at the age of 26 have told their little girl, Kiara, most likely to catch the herpes simplex virus from a visitor when he becomes ill only ten days after his birth.
Little Chiara was placed in a provoked coma, but her doctors told her devastated parents that if she pulled it, it would probably be severely damaged by the brain.
The mother, who has three more children, shares her story in the hope of warning other parents about the virus and avoiding another baby's vomiting.
She told Daily Star: "We've always been so cautious that no one could stay near her if they looked bad or did not wash their hands.
"Never in my worst nightmares did I imagine the kiss could kill my baby and I do not want other parents to go through it.
When Kiara was ill, Kelly and Thomas were told that their daughter had most likely contracted the virus by kissing her.
Herpes in infants are caused by herpes simplex virus, which is highly contagious and can cause and spread through cold sores in adults.
The virus can be very serious for a young baby whose immune system is not fully developed to cope with the virus.
Sometimes neonatal herpes only affect the baby's eyes, mouth or skin. In these cases, most babies will make a full recovery with the treatment.
But the condition is much more serious if it spreads to the organs.
According to the NHS in England, nearly a third of babies with this type of neonatal herpes will die even after they have been treated.
WHAT IS NON-ONE HERPES?
Neonatal herpes occurs when a newborn baby catches the virus.
The herpes simplex virus is highly contagious and spreads through colds or genital ulcers in adults.
Herpes can be very serious in newborns because their immune system is not strong enough to fight the infection.
It affects only 1.65 babies per 100,000 born in the UK, compared with 33 in 100,000 in the United States.
If the virus spreads to the baby's organs, almost a third die even if they have been treated.
The baby may be at risk if her mother first grabs genital herpes during the first six weeks of her pregnancy.
Such women can transmit the infection to their babies if they have vaginal delivery.
After birth, the baby is at risk of a cold and then kisses him, or if his mother nurses and has herpes ulcers on her chest. This can happen if she touches her cold pain and then her breasts.
Cold wounds are most contagious when they explode but remain contagious until they are fully cured.
A baby may be infected if:
- Lethargic or irritable
- Rejects food
- There is a fever
- There are rashes or wounds on the skin, eyes or inner mouth
If the baby becomes lifeless, it will not wake up, there is no breathing difficulty, or there is bluish tongue or skin, call 999 immediately.
Treatment usually includes antiviral medicines that are administered intravenously.
To reduce the risk of infecting a baby, people should not kiss babies if they have cold pain and should wash their hands before touching them.
Mariann Nicholson, director of the Association of Herpes Viruses, told Daily Star: "Please do not kiss the babies of other people.
– You may be one of those who have light wounds that are so mild that you have not noticed them, but your mild infection can be transferred to a new baby.
In October, Abigail's 19-year-old girlfriend, from Auckland, Maryland, revealed her heart after her daughter, Aliza Rose, died only eight days after neonatal herpes.
My friend said Alice was healthy during the first 36 hours of her life before she had developed a fever, became lethargic and lost interest in food.
Then it quickly worsens when the disease "eats the lungs and the brain", leaving it struggling to breathe and suffer from seizures.
The young mother has urged people in a Facebook post to: "Wash your hands, do not HAVE THE BABY.