The concept of "Come From Away" at La Jolla Playhouse has one day come up with a huge tragedy, but the creation of the show has not really begun just ten years after the terrible events of September 11.
Now the work has traveled from La Jolla to Broadway and back to California (on a tour), and is now being held abroad. Here's a step-by-step look at how this all happened. (The numbers match the locations on the map above.)
Also do not forget to check out our main part of the show here, including interviews with some of the people who have done it.
1. September, 2001: Following the terrorist attacks on the United States and the subsequent "landing" of all air traffic, 38 airplanes carrying thousands of people diverted to the small town of Gander, Newfoundland. The last planes leave five days later.
September 2, 2011: Irine Sankoff and David Hein, a married couple of writer-songwriters from Canada, attend the 10th anniversary of collecting the "planes" in Gander and start interviewing them.
3. April 2012: An early version of Sancoff and Hain's "Glory Inside" was first developed at the Sheridan College in Oakville, Ontario, through the Canadian Music Theater project.
4. January 2013: "Come From Away" received an additional seminar at the Goodspeed Festival of the New Musketeers in East Haddam, Conn.
October 2013: The show is selected for the annual New York National Music Alliance National Festival and gets a 45-minute showcase. The work was selected by Junkyard Dog Productions, which also produced Broadway in Memphis, which was raised in La Jolla Playhouse.
November 5, 2014: The Come From Away World Premiere was announced as part of La Jolla Playhouse's 2015-16 season, and playhouse manager Christopher Ashley (who also directs Memphis) on the wheel. The show is a co-production with the Seattle Repertory Theater.
June 11, 2015: "Come From Away" has an official opening at the Sheila and Hugo Poticar Theaters.
6. November 2015: "Come From Away" opens its track record in Seattle Rep.
September 7, 2016: The music moves to Ford's historic theater in Washington, D.C.
October 2016: "Come From Away" is featured in two concert performances in the ice rink of Gander for about 5,000 residents. Exhibitions bring the whole city to their feet and drive the house down.
November 2016: The show opens at the Royal Alexandra Theater in Toronto, its ultimate production before Broadway.
4 February 2017: The voice returns to San Diego for a concert performance at La Jolla Playhouse Gala.
12 March 2017: "Come From Away" officially opens at Broadway (where it continues to run).
June 11, 2017: The show – nominated for seven awards Tony – won for Ashley as the best filmmaker.
October 2017: Broadway's Come From Away produces its $ 12 million investment.
February 2018: "Come From Away" returns to Toronto for extended "sitting" production.
October 2018: The first US national tour opens at Seattle 5th Avenue.
November 8, 2018: "Come From Away" returns to Southern California for the first time at the World Premiere of the Playhouse, opening a six-week stop at the Ahmanson Theater in Los Angeles. (The tour will also stop in San Francisco in January and in Costa Mesa in February, but no commitment is scheduled in San Diego).
December 9, 2018: "Come From Away" is expected to find an escape in Dublin, Ireland, before heading for London's West End.
10. 2019: The productions will be opened in London and Melbourne, Australia.