Wednesday , January 20 2021

Richard Landland's missing cell phone sent a murder leader along the way

The investigation of Dennis Oland's murder was focused on Wednesday in a police investigation into St. John's police linked to his father's missing cell phone.

Leading researcher Const. Stephen Davidson testifies to a series of test calls from different locations between St. John and Rosie using an iPhone 4 similar to that owned by the victim, Richard Oland.

The police wanted to see which cell towers picked up the signals – a problem the Crown continued to investigate as early as February 2018 in the courtroom.

The last message received from the victim's iPhone was a text message sent by his mistress at 6:44. on 6 July 2011

He fired a cell tower in Rosie, near Renforth's subway, where Denis Hollande told police that he had stopped traveling home to visit his father in his office in northern St. John that night when he became the last famous man alive .

The body of the 69-year-old child was discovered in his office the next morning with his face down in blood. He had suffered 45 sharp and dark injuries to the head, neck and arms.

IPhone was the only thing missing from the multi-million dollar office on 52 Canterbury Street, while valuable items such as his Rolex watch, wallet, and BMW's keys, which were parked outside, were untouched.

Before being killed, the phone was connected to a cell tower near his office, the court heard.

Radio Frequency Engineer will testify that cellular devices are usually connected to the tower that provides the strongest signal that is generally the closest, said Kosovo Attorney Jill Connie at the start of the remarks at the beginning of the trial.

On Wednesday, Davidson uses numbered red stickers to point to the different locations from which he made test calls using the iPhone 4 on a satellite image. (Court of Appeal)

Davidson told the court that held the test talks for four days in March 2012, starting in the area. He made 59 calls from random locations.

All the calls successfully connected to a stationary in a locked room in the police station, he said.

He also ran test calls at Renfert Worf, he said. Fifteen of the 20 calls were recorded by Rogers, he said.

The second call did not go, no signal, Davidson said. The fourth call failed, and the fifth did not have a clear ring, but only a "noisy noise," he said.

The web also changed from Rogers 3G to Rogers Well while it was there, Davidson said, referring to his notes.

There is no evidence of the importance of this or which cell towers call up the calls.

During the first trial in Holland in 2015, his defenders argue that the cell tower prediction models are based on a 1.5 meter cell phone equivalent of a street-level person who holds the phone.

If the victim's mobile phone was in the office on the second floor when the last text was received, this basic assumption would not apply, they thought.

Richard Oland, 69, was found dead at his office in St. John on July 7, 2011. (Canadian Yachting Association)

50-year-old Hollande was repeated for second-degree murder at the death of his father after the appellate court lifted his verdict in December 2015 in October 2016 and condemned a new trial pointing out a mistake in the judge's instructions to the jury.

Davidson testified on Wednesday for some additional tests he made in March 2012 to see how iPhone 4 answers calls when switched on, sleeping and off. He called Renfurt Worff using another cell phone.

When the iPhone was switched on, he ran four times before entering the voicemail when he was in sleep mode, showing the incoming call on the screen, and four sound rings before voicemail arrived, and when it was turned off, two test calls went immediately to voice mail, he said.

Davidson said this aerial photo illustrates the location and direction in which they took pictures of cell towers as requested by the Crown Radio engineers. (Court of Appeal)

The court has also heard of some emails between Davidson and Crown Cell Tower Expert, Radio Frequency Engineer Joseph Sadun, earlier this year.

Davidson said that Sadoun asked him to take pictures of certain towers. He took several on January 26 and a few on February 15, he said.

The pictures have been put into evidence, but they are not yet explained.

The process will be resumed on Thursday at 9:30 am with continued testimony and cross-examination of Davidson.

Dennis Hollande has preserved his innocence from the very beginning, and his family members have stood before him. (SBU)

Davidson joined the main criminal unit in St. John three days before the victim's body was discovered, the courtroom said on Tuesday.

He was still handling his new desk when he sent him over the phone, which came in with the description of an unconscious man, not breathing, he said.

Davidson testified he had entered the bloody cabinet with Const. Tony Gilbert, who was about 10 feet or about three feet from the body, close enough to notice the significant trauma of the victim's head before returning.

He also unlocked and opened the door in the foyer on the second floor outside the office because "he wanted to see where he was going," he said.

The door has never been tested for evidence, such as fingerprints or a touch of DNA, because it has been contaminated, says the head of the forensic science department.

The defense claims that the door would be the preferred exit of the killer or killers because it leads to the back alley.

Davidson said he had notified the victim's family in the afternoon. Family members were cautious, but "they were not too emotional," he said.

Dennis Oland's wife, Lisa, was the only visibly upset, he said.

Tonight Davidson interviewed Dennis Oland, initially as a witness who could have useful information about the investigation. By the end of the interview, Hollande was considered a possible suspect, he said.

Source link