Canadian counter-terrorism detectives have arrested a teenager in Kingston and accused him of plotting to launch a terrorist terrorist plot.
RCMP chief Peter Lambertuchi told a news conference on Friday that young people who could not be identified by law were arrested Thursday and accused of facilitating terrorism. He is also accused of advising a person to deliver, put, throw or blow explosives in a public place.
The officer did not show anything else on the case. The young man appeared before a judge on Friday afternoon, but almost all the details of what was said were covered by a court disqualification.
Supt. Lambertuchi said the police had also arrested a 20-year-old friend of the accused. He was detained for a day before being released without charge on Friday afternoon.
The courts will probably not determine the outcome of the case for several years. Police reported that over the past weeks, more than 300 police and intelligence officers across the country have been working together on the investigation. They also relied on the RCMP observation plane, which was shouting around Kingston for weeks.
During Friday's press conference, RCMP officials said the investigation began with a letter from their colleagues from the United States. Supt. Lambertuchi said the US Federal Bureau of Investigation was broadcasting news in December about a potential "conspiracy to assault" in Canada, but details were scant.
Strongly armed police in tactical gear searched two homes in Kingston on Thursday.
Police have reported finding traces of materials that could be used in an improvised explosive device. Working late into the night, a bomb squad blew up what was believed to be an explosive early in the morning, "the RCMP statement said.
There is no information about supposed goals in the alleged plot or potential motivation. Nothing is revealed about any links with terrorist groups abroad. The police reported that the two men who had been arrested were friends and did not indicate why he was charged and the other had been released.
Supt. Lambertucci said there was no information suggesting that Kingston's residents were in danger. Police efforts to preserve public safety appear so clear that residents have been buzzing with each other for days on the government airplane for surveillance that runs cocks over the city at night.
Kingston's resident Valery Gray said he was beginning to hear her on January 10, although she could not see anything in the sky because of the cloud cover. Three days later the time cleared, and she saw what looked like a silhouette of an airplane without any lights.
"Every five minutes he was flying over the house," she said on Friday, "The Globe and Mail."
"She never showed up on traces of flights," she said. – I tried to get in touch [the Department of National Defence] as well [Canadian Forces Base] Trenton to see if I can get answers from them. There is no luck. They did not even answer.
Supt. Lambertucci confirmed on Friday that RCMP "Air Assets" had participated in the investigation. He did not describe the capabilities of the plane, but said he allowed the police to closely monitor the intersections.
One of the invaded homes was a small red brick house near the core of the city. The police continued to keep it under their control on Friday, with cars blocking the road.
Vanessa McFarlane, who lives in the neighborhood, said she met the family who lived there several times. She said one of the inhabitants was a boy from a teenager. Her family helped move the couches, she said, and brought food around Christmas.
The 20-year-old was released at a time when the 24-hour period in which Canadian police can hold someone without demanding a taxi.
The globe and the post have chosen not to identify their family.
The man's sister said in an interview with The Globe that the fact that he was not charged means that he did not do anything wrong and that his arrest is a mistake.
She said her mother was traumatized by police action on Thursday in the family home.
The family of five originally came from Syria, but the children grew up in Kuwait, the nurse said. The liberated man and his family came to Canada as refugees after being privately sponsored by a group of churches in Kingston about two years ago.
The Mounties would not say why the 20-year-old was arrested and released.
"RCMP can confirm that the elderly man arrested in connection with the Kingston National Investigation was released from detention without charge," police said in an e-mail. "As this is an ongoing investigation, RCMP can not provide further information."
Police and prosecutors say that under Canadian law to protect young offenders they will be able to say a little about the case against the teenager.
"These restrictions are designed to protect young people from the stigma of the criminal justice system and to promote their rehabilitation and reintegration into society," said Brian Gray, a spokesman for the Ontario Department of Public Prosecution.