Wednesday , May 5 2021

The widow says the RCMP's husband had "rage in his head" after the incident with Dziekanski

Shayla Lemeitre, left, widow of former RCMP spokesman Pierre Lemeitre, went to court in Burnaby, BC, on November 26, 2018.

Jimmy Jeon

When Robert Gikanski died at Vancouver International Airport in 2007 after an attack on the RCMP officers, the sergeant responsible for reporting what had turned out to be a fake version of these events later called to correct the record, his widow questioned the death your suicide.

For three hours on Monday, Sheila Lemajre told the investigation that some of the information her husband, Sergeant Pierre Lemèrer had given to the media, was wrong, but he was ordered not to correct it. As a result, he was accused of being "the liar of RCMP" and "RCMP spin doctor". Later, it was transferred to the traffic department, which is seen as a transfer of punishment, she said.

The situation exacerbated the depression he had lived for some time, his wife said.

The story goes below advertising

Sgt. Lemaitre died of suicide on July 29, 2013. He was 55 years old.

Ms. Lemaitre said that power represents her husband as a "bad apple" and used it as a scapegoat when he actually wanted to correct the information wrong.

"At one point he almost screamed," I want to fix it, I want to tell them, "and it was not allowed," she said. – He's ordered him not to.

His lost pride in his work, his personality changed, and he became physically abusive, sometimes pushing his wife to the floor and strangling her.

"She could not explain why she was so angry," she said, "but she knew that there was rage in his head that he was burning his brain-and he could not control it.

In the days before her death, Ms. Lameira said, he was engaged in several orders for which she was "locked". He bought extra pouches for dog food, delivered several pots of manure from his neighbor and filled several large jugs of water.

She initially thought this was an indication that she felt better, but later realized she was preparing to take her own life.

The story goes below advertising

"He just made sure I'd be fine," she said.

The investigator's trial is scheduled for a few days. The jury will hear evidence from witnesses and then make recommendations aimed at preventing death in similar circumstances.

Ms. Lemaitre told court chairman Vincent Stancato and five of the jury that her husband was proud of being a Monty and had a reputation for going to another mile to help others. This changed after the airport incident.

Mr. Dziekanski, an English-speaking Polish immigrant, came to Canada to live with his mother, but lost himself and walked to the airport for 10 hours. Eventually he started throwing furniture in the area of ​​the arriving and was stunned by Tasser after the officers arrived on the scene. Dies at the airport.

Sgt. Lammeter initially said that Mr. Gikanski was stunned by Tasser twice when he was actually amazed five times. The original report also said employees only used Taser to "immobilize the abuser", but the observer's video contests this account.

All four missions that responded to the incident were accused of perjury. Two were convicted and two were acquitted.

The story goes below advertising

In 2015 Ms Lemaitre filed a lawsuit against the Attorney General of Canada and BK. Minister of Justice for Mines; it was settled in July through mediation. Her lawyer said she could not comment on the deal.

Walter Kostetic, the Tzekanski family lawyer, attended the meeting on Monday to show his support for Ms Lemaitre. He recalls having questioned Sgt. Lametre during the investigation of Mr Jekeński's death, and a brief conversation that the two were then private.

"I started thinking that this is a very decent person who is put in a very difficult position and can not clear the record when he wants," Mr. Kosteckyj told reporters. "He asked me to apologize to my client, Zofia Tsovsky [Mr. Dziekanski’s mother]to know that he himself was not involved in trying to mislead the public or the media about the events.

He added that the sergeant seemed "very, very worried that he was not able to be real, that he felt he was hung up to dry."

Source link