Saturday , May 21 2022

Najib fails in the latest appeal to adjourn the 1MDB process



[ad_1]

PUTRAJAYA (Bernama): Former Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak failed in his latest lawsuit in Federal Court to adjourn the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) lawsuit scheduled for August 19.

The five-member bench, led by Chief Justice (CJ) Datuk Seri Tengku Maimun Tuan Mat, unanimously dismissed Najib's appeal here on Tuesday (August 13th).

"On the question of whether the trial judge correctly exercised his discretion under Article 259 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, we agree with the Court of Appeal that there is no error. There is no reason for us to intervene, "she said.

Tengku Maimun stated that the court did not consider it proper or necessary for the Federal Court to instruct the trial judge on the manner in which he conducted the trial, adding that the parties to the case were at liberty to make the necessary statement of instructions before the Supreme Court of Justice. the court.

CJ, meanwhile, appealed to the prosecutor's office to suspend Najib's 1MDB process, also known as Tanore's trial, after Attorney General (AG) Tommy Thomas informed the court that the prosecutor's office was withdrawing his complaint because it did not serve a practical purpose.

The other presiding judges were the newly appointed Chief Justice of Malaya Tan Sri Azahar Mohammed, Chief Judge of Sabah and Sarawak Datuk Seri David Wong Dak Wah, and Federal Court Judges Datuk Rohan Yusuf and Tan Sri Idrus Harun.

Thomas also informed the court that the prosecution would be able to serve the statements of defense witnesses in the 1MDB case this afternoon (13 August).

He said that the trial of 1MDB could only begin on August 28, that is, 14 days after the witness testimony had been presented to the defense, as required under section 402B of the CCP.

AG previously told the court that the prosecution had withdrawn its appeal to postpone the date of the 1MDB trial (19 August).

He updates the court that the prosecution is at the end of the case against Najib in the process of SRC International Sdn Bhd and is confident of closing on the latest date, August 16, by Supreme Court Judge Mohd Nazlan Mohd Ghazali.

"Even if the prosecution cannot end on August 16, the next week's transfusion will be in just a few days," Thomas said.

He said the prosecutor's office had no objection to Supreme Court Judge Colin Lawrence Secara to initiate the Thanor trial, provided it was completed after the prosecution had completed its case against the CCP.

Meanwhile, Najib Tan Sri Mohammed Shafi's lawyer, Shafi Abdullah, said his client would not receive a fair trial if the case for 1MDB and SRC were ongoing.

He said Najib has the same case defense team and the parties will not be able to complete the CPC process until Friday (August 16th).

According to him, both the prosecutor's office and the defense will need about a month to prepare their statements at the end of the prosecutor's office's case for the CPC trial.

On August 5, the Court of Appeal upheld the Supreme Court's ruling that the Najib 1MDB trial of alleged corruption and money laundering should continue as scheduled on August 19.

The prosecution has filed an application with the Supreme Court to adjourn the case to Najib SRC International Sdn Bhd.

Najib, who is 66, is facing four charges under the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) Act and 21 counts of money laundering involving 1MDB of RM2.28.

It is alleged that the Pekan MP committed the crimes at AmIslamic Bank Bhd, No 55, Jalan Raja Chulan, Bukit Ceylon, between 2011 and 2014.

As far as the ongoing anti-CPC process is concerned, Najib faces seven charges, three of which are for criminal misconduct, one for misuse of power and three for money laundering involving CRC funds totaling RM42 million. – Burnham

[ad_2]
Source link