A prisoner is released to a motel, where he sexually attacks a woman.
A prisoner who was recently sexually released attacked a woman in a motel where she was cared for by the Correction and the Ministry of Social Development.
The incident on the South Island along with other incidents on the North Island, both in mid 2017, highlighted the need for better communication between MSD and Corrections regarding releasing detainees into emergency housing.
The man was arrested and charged but was found to be unfit to include a defense and order for mandatory care to be made, according to regional Correction commissioner Chris O & # 39; Brien-Smith.
Goods earlier this week reported dozens of vulnerable children were placed in a motel with a notorious child sex offender from April 30 to June 25 this year, while a project to improve communication between the two government departments was underway.
READ MORE MORE:
* Case manager knows that sex offender Ronald Jeffries lives in a motel but doesn't raise an alarm
* Correction of reviews using motels for high-risk offenders
*The Prime Minister said placing sex offenders with vulnerable families was supervised
* Corrections place famous sex offenders in a motel
Document released to Goods in October showed Correction and MSD began working on a new system to deal with prisoners released in emergency housing after two incidents in mid-2017 highlighted the need for better coordination.
Goods asking for more information about the two incidents and on Saturday O & # 39; Brien-Smith responded with details about one of them.
O & # 39; Brien-Smith said in May 2017 an offender was released from prison after an 11-month sentence for threatening his partner. The man was meant to live with his family, but "this arrangement became unavailable on the day of his release".
Accommodation and food assistance support is regulated by Corrections and Employment and Income, and special needs grants are used to pay for emergency accommodation at the motel for seven days, while further arrangements are made.
"The Correction Staff notified the motel owner that he was a prisoner who was recently released but did not provide all specific information regarding the previous violation or the risk," said O & # 39; Brien-Smith.
The violator was placed for another seven days, after the probation officer who committed the crime worked with Employment and Income to extend the special needs grant. Corrections agreed to fund the rest of the night.
On May 26, three days before a supported living arrangement would be available, the man was arrested and accused of sexual violence.
He was found to be inadequate to file a defense and was transferred to a hospital.
"The Chief Probation Officer conducts a full review of the perpetrators' management, and all recommendations have been carried out."
They met with victims of the attack to discuss the review of the management of our offenders, and to express sincere remorse.
Recommendations from the review included providing feedback to staff on findings, working to develop agreements with Employment and Income on emergency accommodation for released prisoners; provide guidance to staff about what information can be disclosed to accommodation providers; holding a forum to discuss violators of concern in the district; and review workload and risk distribution in the district to ensure staff levels are appropriate for managing caseload.
On Wednesday, in a separate response, Correction acting as national commissioner Ben Clark noted the incident and others arranged for the ball to be rolled out for better information sharing between Correction and MSD.
"Corrections follow incident reporting standards and review procedures for both cases … Corrections have had a new process with MSD to provide emergency accommodation for offenders who are subject to court and sentences and orders given by the parole board in the community.
"This process provides sources of correction and funds for emergency accommodation for the highest risk offenders, with MSD providing accommodation for all other offenders. We have also strengthened the information sharing process between Correction and MSD in relation to the placement of offenders in emergency accommodation."
This week Goods reported that documents revealed dozens of vulnerable children placed at the United Motel in Palmerston North even though an MSD staff member who knew of Ronald Jeffries' sex offenders lived there.
Corrections put Jeffries, who was subject to the 10-year Extended Supervision Order (ESO) after a lifetime of offense, at the motel on April 30.
On May 3, he contacted MSD and spoke with a case manager who asked about getting a HNZ home.
The 66-year-old man told the interview case manager that he was staying at United Motel – accommodation sourced and funded by Correction. The case manager doesn't tell anyone.
From that date 13 families with 33 children were placed in the motel by MSD before Corrections took Jeffries into custody.
There was fear, Jeffries abused several children but the police investigation found no evidence of a crime.
Jeffries has denied several allegations that he violated his ESO conditions by making contact with children.