The decision confirms that five people died at the time of the outbreak
Monday, June 17, 2019
Health and Social Welfare Secretary Matt Hancock ordered a review of hospital food safety after confirming that the number of listeria victims has now risen to five.
Since a multidisciplinary investigation has begun in case of sandwich and salad listeria, Public Health England (PHE) has been analyzing some cases of listeria from the past two months to see if they are related to this outbreak.
Any risk to society remains low, says PHE, but its analysis of the genome sequence identifies three more cases related to this outbreak.
Thus, the total number of confirmed cases reaches nine. All cases of listeria infection are in hospital patients in England, although it is not clear where the extra cases occurred.
One of the severely ill six patients with an infection confirmed by PHE last week has died. Thus the total number of deaths associated with this epidemic reaches five.
Health and Social Welfare Secretary Matt Hancock said: "I was extremely worried about this issue and I strongly believe we need a radically new approach to food served in our NHS. The National Health Service should be in charge of helping people make healthy choices. "
He added, "I have ordered the NHS to review the hospital food."
The Department of Health and Welfare could not confirm to OnMedica who will carry out the review or when their report is likely to be published.