Wednesday , May 22 2019
Home / sweden / Congo-Kinshasa outbreak "Except for all controls"

Congo-Kinshasa outbreak "Except for all controls"



The current epidemic erupted in North Kivu province in northeastern Congo-Kinshasa ten months ago.

To date, 1,600 people have become ill and mortality is 67% higher than in previous epidemics. Three out of every ten of the infected are children and 57% of women, according to the WHO.

The number of infected people has been increasing every week since February, and experts now warn that the outbreak could be worse than the outbreak in West Africa from 2014 to 2016.

In the two years that the epidemic broke out, more than 11,300 people were killed in the mainly affected countries – Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone – but several cases were reported in the western world, including the United States and Spain.

"Massively in comparison with all the other outbreaks of Ebola in history"

– I am very worried. As he may be worried as a man, says Jeremy Farr, chief executive of Wellcome Trust, the British charity organization, The Guardian.

"This is enormous compared to all the other outbreaks in the history of Ebola and is still expanding. Surprisingly, it has not spread to a larger geographic area, but the figures are alarming and they are getting scary.

Assistant is sprayed with disinfection after treatment of patients with Ebola in a clinic in Benny, North Kivu

Photo: HUGH KINSELLA CUNNINGHAM / EPA / TT / EPA TT OFFICE

Former British political scientist David Miliband is now the head of the International Rescue Committee and has recently visited the affected area of ​​Congo-Kinshasa, also known as the Democratic Republic of Congo.

"The situation is far more dangerous than the 1,000 deaths," he told the Guardian.

– The danger is that the number of cases increases, except for all controls, despite the vaccine and the treatment.

Assistants are attacked by militia

Work on trying to control the epidemic is hampered by the fact that the affected area has been restless for several decades.

Armed groups struggling to control North Kivu have attacked clinics and relief workers, leading to disruption of support operations for safety reasons.

According to MSF, which had to shut down two clinics in the province after an assault and fire from a militia, more than 100 armed groups currently operate in North Kivu.

Photo: HUGH KINSELLA CUNNINGHAM / EPA / TT / EPA TT OFFICE

On May 3rd, helpers buried a person who died in Ebola by a militia in the city of Butembo, and only a few days later dozens of armed men attacked Ebola's clinic in the same city.

Three of the clinics of the International Rescue Committees have been attacked and part of their operations have been burned, according to The Guardian.

"A series of attacks have stopped work on stopping Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo this week, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO Director-General, wrote on Twitter last week.

"Most operations have already been resumed, but unfortunately we expect that interruptions and accumulations in our laboratories will lead to an increase in the number of cases in the coming days.

"When we can not reach people, they do not get a chance to be vaccinated or get treatment when they get sick. The big tragedy is that we have the technical capabilities to stop Ebola, but before all groups stop attacking support operations, it will be very difficult to put an end to this epidemic. "

https://twitter.com/DrTedros/status/1126776046609522689


Source link