Almost killing from a kiss: the baby is struggling for her life because of herpes
In the UK, a one-year-old baby almost died because she was infected with a herpesvirus kiss. The child had to be hospitalized for four days. Now parents warn other people to kiss small children on the mouth.
A little girl had purple rashes everywhere
A one-year-old girl from the North Sea city of Darlington has almost died because she was infected with herpes viruses. Initially, parents do not realize what their child is missing. "Kayla was crying so much that I knew it could just mean pain," said The Daily Mail's mother. "We were at home and I was about to put her in the tub when I suddenly saw footprints on her feet." According to the information, the baby had violet rashes all over the place. "I was afraid my first thought was that she had something to do with the meningitis because she had it before," the mother said. In the hospital, however, it turned out that the child was infected with herpesviruses.
Two out of three people are infected with herpes
Health experts say two out of three people are infected with herpes viruses.
But most people who get infected with it never show symptoms and probably do not know they are infected. Therefore, herpes are often transmitted unnoticed.
Viruses are often only active through certain influences such as stress or strong sunlight and cause, among other things, herpes in the mouth.
Some people need special care. Adult wounds should be very careful in contact with young children.
Because even a kiss of them may be deadly for babies, as the older case showed in the United States.
Even the small Kayla from England was put in a life-threatening situation.
The infection may end fatally
According to the Daily Mail report, doctors at the hospital have found that the painful purple rash in the small Kaylah is caused by the herpes simplex virus.
"Doctors told us that someone with herpes should kiss her on the lips and because the baby's immune system is not strong enough, she has developed a rash," said the 22-year-old mother.
Her fiancé was shocked and "could not believe it was all because of a kiss."
The little girl had to stay in the hospital for four days, where she was treated with antibiotics.
Doctors have indicated that the baby is happy that the infection may have ended fatally.
"If we had not gone quickly to the hospital, it could have been very dangerous if we could lose it," the young mother said.
According to the parents, her daughter is not yet fully restored. One month after the clinic was removed, she still had to take medication daily and be taken to a doctor once a week.
Little Kayla's parents now turn to the public to alert other people to the risk.
"I just want other parents to know that you do not have to be physically ill to harm the baby – you can only be the bearer of the virus and still influence it," says the mother.
According to the newspaper, the virus can be transmitted to the mother in infants either by kissing or in newborns if it had genital herpes for the first time in the last six weeks of pregnancy.
The risk is greatly reduced if she had it before her pregnancy, as she had passed on the antibodies required to fight her.
Not for the first time parents, many of whom have lost their babies, have warned that strangers are not allowed to kiss babies.
"Please do not kiss other people's babies," said Mariann Nicholson of the Association of Herpes Viruses.
Treat herpes as early as possible
If the infection is known, adults will be advised by healthcare professionals to treat herpes as early as possible. But what helps against herpes?
In normal course, drugs are often used to inhibit viral replication. Infection should not always be treated with antiviral medicines.
Sometimes, home remedies for herpes such as manuka honey or tea tree oil. From herpes, bursting to healing can take up to two weeks. (AD)