Monday , November 23 2020

More than 12,000 scouts were victims of sexual violence, the expert said



An expert who worked with the boycotts revealed that there may be about 7,819 leaders and volunteers alleged to be sexually abusive in the floor organization, according to newly issued court documents.

According to the testimony of the court, more than 7,800 persons have abused 12,254 victims.

These figures were published on Tuesday by lawyer Jeff Anderson, whose company is regularly a victim of sexual violence and involved in multiple sexual abuse cases.

The new testimony was recorded in the court record as part of the January child sexual abuse trial at a children's theater company in Minnesota.

One of the witnesses she witnessed was Dr. Janet Warren, a professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Neurobiology at the University of Virginia Medical School.

PHOTO: Janet I. Warren, Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Neurobetology at the University of Virginia.Tom Kogil / University of Virginia
Janet W. Warren, Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Neurobetology at the University of Virginia.

Warren testified that during the last five years he had been "on a private contract" with America's scout boys, evaluating his work with sexual violence in the organization from 1944 to 2016.

Warren testifies that she and her team have worked with the group's unacceptable volunteer files, sometimes referred to as perverse files.

Warren said at her January hearing that she and her team had coded all of these files, finding that there were "7,819 perpetrators who believe they are involved in child sexual abuse."

"From the review of all these files, we identified 12,254 victims," ​​Warren said.

Anderson publishes these figures publicly at a press conference Tuesday, stating that 130 of these perpetrators are in New York and may have legal consequences. Earlier this year, state lawmakers adopted the Child Victims Act, which allows for claiming sexual violence at any time despite the limitation period for a one-year period starting in August last year.

"The revelation made by Dr. Janet Warren really made us worry," Anderson said.

American scouts publish a statement after the disclosure, expressing sympathy for the victims and noting the work the organization has done to protect children.

"We take care of all the victims of child abuse and we sincerely apologize to anyone who has suffered during their stay in the Scout. We believe that the victims, we support them, and have paid for unrestricted consultation by a provider of their choice, "the organization said in a statement by ABC News. "Nothing is more important than the safety and protection of children in the scout, and we are indignant that there are times when individuals have benefited from our programs to abuse innocent children."

PHOTO: Sign on the National Office in front of America's Scout Staff, Feb. 4, 2013, in Irving, Texas.Tom Pennington / Getty Images
Sign on the National Office in front of America's Scout Staff, Feb. 4, 2013, in Irving, Texas.

The organization has confirmed that it has maintained the screening database for volunteers from the 20s of the 20th century and "we have never knowingly let the perpetrator work with youth, and we are obliging all leaders, volunteers and staff members across the country immediately to report any allegations of misuse by law enforcement. "

In the statement, officials also confirmed that Warren has been working with America's Scouts since 2013 to conduct ongoing database research and make recommendations for improvement.

The existence of an abuse database is not new, but the scope of the misuse is. In 2012, more than 14,000 pages of documents related to the abuse of 1247 scout leaders were released in connection with a case in Oregon. That same year, the Los Angeles Times set up a database detailing about 5,000 men and a small number of women related to the boycotts who were expelled in connection with sexual abuse.

The number of Warren shows a significant leap in this issue, and Anderson calls on American scouts to make the list public.

"This is information the Scouts have and have had for a few years …" [and is still] kept in secret today, "Anderson said.

Boyko Scouts said that "every case of suspicion of abuse is communicated to law enforcement agencies."

"Besides, all names in Anderson List are publicly available, all of these people have been taken out of scouts and reported to law enforcement," the scouts said.

Critics, like Anderson, are calling on America's scout boys to be more transparent than the information they have about the faces of the accused.

"America's Scout Boys have never released these names in any form that can be known to the public … they have never warned the community that this teacher, this coach, this Scout leader … is known as child abuse, "Anderson said.

The scouts did not respond to a request for comment on Anderson's allegations that the entire list of the 130 previously reported alleged abusers in New York should be public.


Source link