May 17, 2019
Dedicated to personal information, social networks have become an ideal area for criminals. Using these sites as recognition tools, the attacker can send a target message (underwater copy) in which he tries to convince a user to visit a fake page that appears legitimate to steal the credentials and money.
Manipulation techniques are also used to allow the user to open an infected attachment that acts as a dropper for another malware with the ability to filter data or save everything that is input to the computer via a keyboard.
"We have to keep in mind that the information we put out can not be used by cybercriminals only, and today the profiles are also analyzed by human resources consultants or before meeting with a person for the first time. Although by nature we are social beings, ESET recommends that we take advantage of social networks in a responsible way so that we can safely use the Internet, "concluded Camilo Gutierrez, head of the ESET Latin America laboratory.
These councils can therefore counteract the risks arising from the excessive exchange of digital information:
• Review and configure the privacy options available on each social network used.
• Whenever possible, it is recommended to limit access to people who can see what is being done as much as possible.
• An analysis of the information that is decided to be published, as soon as anything is published, control over what others are doing with this material is lost. The safest is always to avoid publishing what we would not want the public to see.
• Think as an assailant: can the information being shared be used against us? If so, you'd better not share it.
• Watch out for suspicious messages, whether they contain links or sounds too good to be true. This recommendation applies even to messages sent by acquaintances as the attacker may have violated the account.
• Check your friends' requests, it is ideal to accept requests from friends, acquaintances, or people with whom you have real-life friends.
It should be remembered that the digital phenomenon of immediate sharing of experiences is not a risk, but rather that the distribution of digital is more related to the type of information that is shared and to which access is given.
[+] Videos from our YouTube channel