Thursday , July 29 2021

DR Congo arrested 11 for killing a doctor fighting with Ebola



From AFP
More by this author

Authorities in the Democratic Republic of the Congo said they had arrested 11 suspects Thursday in a last week's killing of a World Health Organization (WHO) doctor fighting an Ebola epidemic in the country.

Judge of the North Kwuwu military court, Colonel Kumbu Ngoma, said three of the suspects shot the murders of Cameron doctor Richard Valery Muzoko Kibung on April 19th, and four of them were considered to be accomplices.

"We hope that with these multiple arrests, security forces will be able to identify and provide justice to all those who have been involved in the violence against medical personnel," the statement said in the DR Congo Health Ministry's statement.

Mouzoko was shot in a raid on a hospital in the eastern city of Butembo. The WHO said it was sent as part of a medical team to help eradicate the Ebola outbreak that started in North Kivu last August.

The outbreak is the second most deadly in history since the epidemic that affected West Africa in 2014-2016, in which more than 11,300 people died. The health ministry said it had counted 885 deaths in the DRC since the last epidemic.

But efforts to recover highly contagious haemorrhagic fever are hampered not only by the struggle, but also by the resistance in municipalities for preventive measures, care facilities and safe burials.

On Wednesday, dozens of local doctors and nurses protested the physical risks they faced in Butebbo, urging authorities to provide sufficient security by early May or to start a strike.

On March 9, an attack on a Butebbo healing center left a policeman dead and an early health worker. This was the third attack of this center.

On 24 February, a treatment center was set on fire in Katwa.

The attacks have prompted MSF, an international medical charity, to stop operations in the area.


Source link